My Mystic hit level 26 last week. Friday evening I decided to try my first instance in Tera Online. Initially, I tried getting in a group via chat. I didn't want to main heal my first time doing an instance or for that matter, healing a real group. I've healed people through taking down BAMs here-n-there but that's nothing compared to dungeon encounters. No luck getting a group in chat I used the LFG tool, knowing by doing so, I stood a good chance of being the healer.
Groups is formed and summoned into the instance. And yes, I'm the healer. Yikes! I make sure to let them know this is my first instance and attempt at healing a real group. Someone commented I might be on the low side for it having just turned 26. The tank said, "Not so good" and commenced to pulling mobs.
I'll let the video speak for itself. All in all, it wasn't a bad experience. I wished the tank had occasionally explained what he was about to do. NOT ONE SINGLE ENCOUNTER was ever discussed. Chat was fucking silent. He just mowed forward, with or without us. Luckily, I managed to keep up.
I fumbled the ball several times in my anxiety about pulling multiple rooms and being inexperienced. Things I need to do better in the future:
- DO NOT under any circumstances move spells around just before going into an instance!
When you're flustered muscle memory kicks in and you start going by "what was" instead of "what is". I'd moved around my cleanse and swapped the tank and healing pet locations.
- Really remind people to use the healing motes since they also purge/cleanse. Most of the motes I placed around the encounters weren't used, even when people were in dire straights.
- Get used to casting the player buffs. I don't use them when questing because they drain mana for every second their up and mobs die so quickly they're not needed. However, in boss fights they're useful. I'm not sure my mana could have sustained having one up anyway.
- Investigate options for expanding my mana pool. I have crystals that increase the pool and others that regen. Perhaps there are more options. My heal is a small heal + HOT so I tend to be proactive and keep players topped off in case they're the victim of an alpha/enraged attack.
- REMEMBER TO MEZZ what's hitting me before I attempt to summon Thrall of Life. The one time I really almost died, the caster after me kept interrupting my summon.
It's interesting and helpful to watch footage of yourself playing. I have a better sense of what I struggled with and how I might improve it in the future. I'm glad I did the run and intend run it a few more times.
We raced through it so quickly there was no time to look around or savior the experience. If I'm going to be doing instances as a healer, it may be time to find a guild. Communicating over voice would help tremendously and it's always more fun with guildies than a random PUG.